When the world around us seems to be spiralling out of control, we need to keep in our minds the good in our lives if we want to avoid getting dragged into the momentum of hate and violence. In the last few days, we have woken to most shocking and saddening news from overseas and also tragedy on our doorstep.
Today the sun shines in our garden. Our youngest has gone fishing with his granddad, the other two are hunting Pokemon together and we are sat listening to music. A few months ago this image was the furthest thing from our minds. We couldn’t imagine ever feeling relaxed, happy and ‘normal’ again but here we are. When all around you feels desperate, you can still find positives even if they few and far between.
Despite the atrocities in the world, in the last 24 hours I would like to recognise and say thank you for the following:
- Our wonderful and caring family and friends
- My boss and colleagues wishing me a relaxing summer despite not being at work
- Our children loving learning and that their schools recognise their success and achievement
- The pure enjoyment my son gets from driving with the window open
- Our current health meaning that we can enjoy things together as a family
- The delight in eating fresh coffee and doughnuts
- The sunshine
Sometimes we need to purposely put on our rose-tinted glasses to protect ourselves from the negative and soul-destroying events that seem to be happening more and more frequently. We need to shield our eyes from the hate and violence in the world. Who’s with me? What are you grateful for today?